4.06.2011

Meat-Za!

As I mentioned before the boy and I have been transitioning over to a new eating routine*, cutting out the refined sugars and complex carbohydrates and eating more organic meats and produce. The end result has me feeling better then I literally have in years and bonus, I've shaved off 7 unnecessary pounds of fat and 2 inches off my waistline. Not to mention when you’re eating organic / local you can also feel good about doing something better for the planet ;)

My main challenge has been to find meals that are not only healthy and delicious but balanced as well. So that the vegetables are the star of the plate and the protein is more of an accompaniment. Plus it has to be something that Grant will actually eat! What has resulted is some of the most delicious dinners I have had in recent memory. Full of flavor, quick and the best part healthy…it seems like a dream come true.

When my friend posted a picture on her facebook page of this dish I knew immediately what I would be making the following night. The hardest part of this new routine for me has been cutting the carbs. I am easily one of the most carb obsessed people you will ever meet. One look over at the pasta section of this blog and you will see what I mean. And pizza…the sweet tomatoes, melty cheese and crackling crust are the very things I dream of. But dear readers believe it or not there is way to have your pizza and eat it to, even without the carbs!


Meat-Za!
Serves 2 really hungry people or 4 with a big green salad

1lb Italian Sausage (I used a mild chicken Italian Sausage)
1 egg
½ cup tomato sauce
Toppings of your choice, I used:
½ red bell pepper, sliced into strips
½ yellow bell pepper, sliced into stips
1 tomato, diced
1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
Shredded mozzarella cheese

For the crust:
Preheat your oven to 375º. Remove the sausage from their casings and transfer to a small bowl. Add the egg and mix well. Spread the sausage and egg mixture evenly into a large oven safe nonstick skillet and pop into the oven for 20 minutes. When you take the skillet out of the oven you want the sausage to have pulled away from the sides of the pan and the edges to be a little brown.

Now it’s time to add your toppings, spread the tomato sauce evenly across the crust and garnish. I stick to all vegetables since you already have your protein with the crust. Bell peppers, olives, zucchini even broccoli would all be delicious on top. Top with cheese, salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil and pop back into your 375º oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese is nice and bubbly.

Slice into wedges and serve along side a big green salad. Contrary to what you are probably thinking, this dish is not at all heavy. If you use a lean chicken sausage instead of pork it will render very little fat and the veggies will be the perfect compliment.

* If you would like to read more about our new eating routine, click here!

Print

1 comment:

  1. Hmm... now I'm curious if we could tweak this to offer a vegetarian option. Beans????

    ReplyDelete