3.22.2011

Baked Apples with Cinnamon, Raisins and Walnuts

For about 3 weeks now I’ve been slowly transitioning over to a new eating routine. Not a diet per se, just a healthier way of eating. I’ve cut back on my need for a soda a day and all but eliminated carbs from my diet (and yes, that means beer too!). Truth be told, it hasn’t been easy, in fact I crave blue box macaroni and cheese on a daily basis…but my body tells me it’s been worth it. I have more energy through out the day, and the baggier pants are definitely a plus too!

But don’t worry, I’m not here to get on my soap box and preach to you the benefits of healthy eating, for the boy and I it’s a personal preference, but what I can promise is to share some of the amazing recipes that come out of it. One thing you can count on is the majority of them will be gluten free and contain no added sugar.

Now does this mean that next week I’m not going to post some delicious cheesy encrusted pasta or a monster chocolate cake recipe? Absolutely not! I’m not dead readers, and a girl needs to cheat every once in a while. So rest assured Dandy Dishes is not getting completely veggie-fied but what I do hope you will find are new recipes using ingredients you might not typically think of and that are much healthier for your bodies.


Baked Apples with Cinnamon, Raisins and Walnuts

Serves 4

4 Granny Smith apples, peeled or unpeeled
½ cup raisins
¼ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ cup water
Raw Honey for garnish (optional)

Preheat your oven to 375º. Wash and core your apples and remove the peel if you choose…truth be told the peels can get a little rubbery if left on but nutrition wise you will more then double your fiber intake. If leaving the peels on, using a knife, pierce the skin a couple times around the entire apple.

Combine the raisins, nuts, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla together in a small bowl and mix well. Place the apples in a glass baking dish and stuff the raisin and nut mixture into the cored centers. Pack in as much as you can, if they’re overflowing a little its ok. Pour the water into the bottom of the baking dish and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Transfer to your preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes.

Remove apples from the oven and transfer to a plate. Slice into wedges and drizzle with the raw honey. And please if you’re not into the whole healthy eating thing; serve a big old scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side so I can live vicariously through you!

Enjoy!

Print

1 comment:

  1. I'm ready for some baked apples right now!Nice post. (I even clicked on and read all of the adds)

    ReplyDelete