7.13.2011

My Favorite Frittata

I must confess, I’m addicted to eggs. The boy and I go through at least a dozen a week, and if I actually got my lazy butt out of bed in the morning on time like I’m supposed to, that number would easily double. Whether they are being used to create decadent cakes and custards or simply being scrambled and served along side some crispy bacon I’m obsessed and can’t seem to get enough.

One of my favorite egg dishes is a frittata. Similar to an omelet or a quiche, a frittata is packed full of your favorite meats, cheeses and herbs and cooked on the stove top until the eggs are just set then tossed in the oven under the broiler to get everything all nice and crispy. They are perfect for when you have a ton of veggies sitting in your fridge on the edge of ruin and even more perfect for a weekend brunch. They are also a vitamin and protein rich post workout snack that I have been inhaling after my workouts.

There are a ton of different recipes that I use depending on my mood or what’s lingering around in my fridge. Crumbled sausage with sage and cheddar, roasted red peppers with chives and goat cheese or my favorite sautéed red onion, broccoli, cherry tomatoes and feta...the possibilities are truly endless!

* The picture below shows an individual portion made in an 8” nonstick pan using half of the ingredients listed below.


My Favorite Frittata
Serves 4

6 eggs, beaten
¼ cup half and half
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
½ red onion, finely chopped
1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 cup chopped broccoli, can be fresh or frozen
¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled

Preheat a 10” nonstick skillet over medium heat and crank on the broiler in your oven to high. Make sure the rack is in the upper 1/3 position. Beat up the eggs with the half and half until there are tiny bubbles on the surface, about 2 minutes, and season with a little salt and pepper. The object here is to try and incorporate as much air into the eggs as possible; this will result in a fluffier frittata. Add the olive oil and red onion to the pan and sauté until the onion is translucent. Toss in the broccoli and continue to sauté for another 3 – 5 minutes. Add the quartered cherry tomatoes, toss gently, and season with salt and pepper.

Lower the heat to medium low and add the butter to the pan, once melted pour in the egg mixture. Gently stir around the eggs until they are mostly set and very little liquid remains, just like you would do with an omelet. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with the crumbled feta cheese.

Toss the pan in the oven under the broiler and cook until the edges begin to pull away from the pan and the top is nice and golden brown, about 5-7 minutes. Slice into wedges and serve.

Print

2 comments:

  1. I'm an egg addict too Lindsey! They are the perfect food. Period. :-) Thanks for sharing this on Chowstalker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patty! And they are so versatile too, thanks for checking out my site :)

    ReplyDelete