11.10.2010

Steak and Bell Pepper Stir Fry

In the past I’ve never really considered myself much of a red meat girl. Sure I enjoy a good hamburger every now and then and ground beef finds it’s way into a few of my dishes but it’s typically an every other month kind of affair. However, as I my culinary adventures grow and as I continue to follow more fellow bloggers I’m becoming increasingly intrigued with new and exciting things to do with red meat. So I decided I would start off easy. Flank steak sliced paper thin and sautéed with sweet red and yellow bell peppers. Then tossed with a spicy chili ginger sauce and served over sticky rice sounded not only quick and easy but yummy too! One of those dinner’s that’s ready in 15 minutes on one of those nights when you don’t feel like spending an hour in the kitchen. I used what I had on hand but next time I’ll definitely make sure to throw in some green, maybe steamed broccoli or snap peas and some sliced scallions for the extra kick.

By the way, what do you think of the picture? After many months and countless recommendations from friends and family I finally settled on my first digital SLR! So here’s to many beautiful shots with this sucker and me figuring out how on earth to use it! LOL


Steak and Bell Pepper Stir Fry
Serves 4

12 ounces flank steak, cut against the grain into thin strips
1 tablespoon neutral oil (ex. canola or vegetable)
1 red bell pepper cut into strips
1 yellow bell pepper cut into strips
¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
1 ½ tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon peeled fresh ginger, minced
2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce (or more if you really like it spicy)
Sesame oil (optional)

Heat a large non stick skillet over medium high heat. Add oil and steak to pan and cook untouched for 2 minutes. You want to get a good sear on the beef. Add the bell peppers and cook stirring constantly for an additional 2 minutes or until the beef is only slightly pink. Remove from beef and peppers from pan and transfer to a plate.

Return pan to stove and lower the heat to medium. Add the soy sauce, chili sauce, ginger and vinegar to skillet and bring to a boil. Allow to cook for 1 minute or until the sauce begins to thicken. Add beef and peppers back to the pan, cut the heat and combine well. If you have some green onions slice those up and toss them in as well.

Serve atop some fresh cooked rice and drizzle with a little sesame oil for an extra depth of flavor.

Print

No comments:

Post a Comment